I hope you and your families have been able to reflect together on Pastor Jenny’s call for us to think about our stories of when we knew we were God’s beloved or when we knew that we were enough. One of Henry’s favorite books is Little Humans by Brandon Stanton. I’ve created a video read aloud of the book and also an Imaginative Prayer (from Jared Patrick Boyd) inviting us to imagine ourselves being fully and uniquely formed by God.
Here’s a fun idea for a Family Activity (adapted from 52 Uncommon Family Adventures by Randy Southern):
Set up – Make a whole production out of it and set up an interview space in your home with two chairs and a fun backdrop (*think The Tonight Show!)
Think of some good interview questions and make sure everyone has a turn to be an interviewer and interviewee. You could even record the interviews for posterity. Here are some interview question ideas:
– What were you afraid of when you were younger? How did you overcome fear?
– When were you most proud of yourself?
– If you could talk to anyone – living or dead – for one hour, who would you choose and why? What would you talk about?
– Where do you see yourself in ten years? Where would you like to live? What would you like to be doing?
– If you could do one thing over again, what would it be?
After the interviews are done, reflect on the process of interviewing. What makes a good question? What does it feel like to know that others are interested in your stories and ideas?
Closing Family Prayer: Our interests, skills, abilities and quirks – the things that make us unique – all come from God. God put them inside us for a reason. So the more we learn about one another, the more we learn about God.