Stand Against Racism: April 25

Everyone is invited to the 7th annual Stand Against Racism on Friday, April 25, from 5:45 to 8:30 p.m. at the Hinds Plaza, by the Princeton Public Library. Participants will make a pledge and sign a banner.

There will be music and messages, followed by a discussion inside the community room at the library. This event has been arranged by the Princeton YWCA and the Princeton Human Services Commission and it is co-sponsored by Not in Our Town and its member congregations. So come on out to this inspiring community event!

This event was originally announced to begin at 6:30 p.m. but everyone is encouraged to come when they can, leave when they must.

Our Beloved Sally

sallyIt is with great sadness that we share the news of the death of Sally Ross.  Sally was a long-time member of Princeton United Methodist Church, and an active member of the Chancel Choir, United Methodist Women, and the Communications Committee.  For the obituary in the Times of Trenton, click here.

We ask for your prayers for Sally’s husband, Charles Phillips, and their family.

Visitation will be at Mather Hodge Funeral home on Saturday, April 26​, 3-5PM.  The Funeral Service will be at Princeton UMC on Monday, April 28 at 11AM​.  Interment will be at Princeton Cemetery. For parking suggestions, click here.

In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to the Christian Education Department of Princeton United Methodist Church or the United Front Against Riverblindness (UFAR).

Ben Burt: “An amazing childhood within your walls”

As a kid, Ben Burt was no shy wallflower. You could always count on him to pipe up with great answers. Now he’s being ordained, and he credits the Christian nurturing at PUMC. These are excerpts from his letter sent, in appreciation, to the congregation.

My name is Ben Burt, better known as that little hooligan son of Fred and Vivian Burt.  For the most part, I have not been a physical part of your congregation since 1997, when I went off to college.  However, my name remained on the roll of PUMC from many years after I left.

After I left Princeton I struggled to find a church home and I never wanted to move my membership.  I never encountered a place as welcoming, comfortable, and beautiful as PUMC.  . . .

I am sending you this letter to inform you that I am up for ordination as an Elder in full connection at the South Carolina Annual Conference on June 2nd

Moreover than your presence at this service, it is important to me that you know you are invited to be there.  To some end you will already be there, through all you poured into me.  You, Princeton United Methodist Church, are the reason I am where I am today.  Sure, from a theological perspective we can say God would have gotten me to where ever God wanted me, regardless of my or other’s actions; God got Jonah to Nineveh.  However, I believe God wanted me to be nurtured by Princeton UMC. 

You all are an amazing congregation.  Even though I was just a punk kid, who didn’t listen (and my wife might agree that I still don’t listen), you all poured the love of Christ into me.  You nurtured and taught me the tradition of the Church.  You let me experience the community of love that Scripture calls the Church to be.  It was what you all instilled in me that God used to draw me deeper into service.  I do not know if I would have the same love for the Church if I had not had such an amazing childhood within your walls.

I do not know what children are in your nursery these days, but I am happy for them.  Those kids might grow up to be doctors, lawyers, or even bishops.  No matter what they grow up to be I am sure they will know an amazing God through the loving community of PUMC.

Here is the complete text of Ben’s letter.  It includes his contact info.  Send him warm wishes and prayers!

Member News: Bob and Debbie Meola

Bob and Debbie Meola are a director-producer team who have contributed their many talents to PUMC for ten years. Their latest production for a community theater group — Shrek the bob filmingMusical — opens this weekend at Montgomery High School.

Bob and daughter Tricia did the fabulous video for the “Opening Doors” capital campaign and he most recently made the instructional video for using PUMC’s kitchen appliances  (in photo above)

Debbie is designing PUMC’s altar arrange2014 3 23 water largements to go with our Lenten sermon series (her “Water” altar is at right). She also co-leads a Girl Scout troop with another PUMC member, Alison Koblin. She and Bob have three daughters — Katie, Tricia, and Abby.

The Meolas began their careers as a producing/directing team in many corporate studios. Currently Bob manages the productions studio at Chubb, and Debbie is a freelance writer.

The Meolas are founding members of Sourland Hills Actors Guild, a non profit, volunteer run community theater in Montgomery Township. As director (Bob) and producer (Debbie) they offer four performances of Shrek the Musical,  Thursday to Sunday, April 4 to 7. Click here for tickets and info.shrek

Shrek tells the story of an ogre and his loyal steed Donkey, as they set off on a quest to rescue the beautiful (if slightly temperamental) Princess Fiona. Add the diminutive Lord Farquaad, a gang of fairytale misfits and a biscuit with attitude, for a family-fun musical comedy! The message of acceptance makes this a great production for all ages.

Community theater groups like these offer opportunities for  area children and adults to audition and perform or work behind the scenes — to build self confidence, work together as a team — and hear the delight of an audience appreciating their hard work! The Meolas are wonderful role models for how to take joy in using one’s God-given talents and training to help others.

Youth Leaders for Service and Worship

Our young people will take leading roles in our church this weekend! On Saturday, March 29 at 6 p.m. they stage a fundraising dinner and auction for the Appalachia Service Project (ASP). Tickets for the March 29 dinner are $5, and all are welcome. Among the 2013 asp debbieitems on the auction block:  condos in London, England and Key West, Florida. The ASP program welcomes all teens of all backgrounds, church members and non-church members alike, to participate in this life-changing experience.

On Sunday, March 30, at 9:30 and 11 a.m., three graduating seniors — Alexander Birkel, Daniel Prakash, and Anthony Teng — will deliver the sermon.  Their topic in the Landscape of Lent series is “Mud.”

Sunday Schoolers from second grade on up will attend the 9:30 worship service. After all — soon it will be their turn to lead a Youth Sunday!

Then on the Thursday before Easter,  April 17, at 7:30 p.m., the youth choir and a string quartet will present Faure’s Messe Basse for the service of Upper Room Communion.

Come and support our youth!

Fighting Cholera in the Congo

Tom Lank, formerly on the staff at PUMC — he led the 2010 mission trip to the Congo for the United Front Against Riverblindness — sent us a note from Bishop Ntambo asking for help in the cholera outbreak. The mission team met him in the DRC. “several PUMC folks will recognize the Bishop and may feel called to respond to the need,” says Tom. We were glad that Tom, Gretchen, and the girls could come to the African Soiree to present the very special UFAR award, honoring Pete, to Liz Meggitt and her family.

The message from Bishop Ntambo: Each year, North Katanga, Democratic Republic of Congo experiences a severe Cholera outbreak that claims thousands of lives during the rainy season. UMCOR needs your help to respond to this outbreak and help prevent it from happening again. Watch this video to hear from Bishop NTAMBO Nkulu Ntanda on how you can help.

We are also asked to keep the people of North Katanga in our prayers.

Alternative Gifts: Part 3

This is the third in a series of posts on Alternative Gifts. Here is Part One, and Here is Part Two.

These ideas came from LaVerna A.

Pick an activity your family/children enjoy and show your gratitude by:

contributing to a scholarship fund at the Y for swimming lessons or team membership or summer camp 

contributing to a fund at Westminster for scholarships for children’s music study 

contributing to the public library, with either money or a family favorite book (or two). 

From Barbara F:

Art books, coffee table books — they are great to sit around for awhile, but then they gather dust. One year I checked out from the public library one beautiful book for each person, adult and child, wrapped them up and put them under the tree as an “extra’ gift to open. Everybody enjoyed their books during the holidays, then they were returned. They don’t have to be “artsy,” they could be about a new hobby that you are tactfully offering to a child. Or a travel book about a trip for the future. Something to dream on!

More ideas, these from Iona H.

Three years ago, my immediate family and close friends and I decided to stop giving each other gifts. Instead, throughout the year, we buy personal products when they are on sale. Then in early December, I collect them from my mom, brother, sister-in-law, friends (and myself, of course), and take several boxes of shampoos, dental supplies, creams, soaps, deodorants, etc. to the Crisis Ministry. This is something that we really get excited about doing every year.

Also each year my husband and I tell his local son and daughter-in-laws which charity we want them to donate to in our name. We keep insisting that we want nothing, but they insist on doing something. So they do something for us (no more stuff) while doing something for others. Last year their donation went to the Cornerstone Community Kitchen here at PUMC.

For more ideas check out

http://www.bhg.com/christmas/gifts/alternative-gift-ideas/,

www.buynothingchristmas.org/alternatives/

www.alternativegiving.org.

Also check out charity ratings at www.charitynavigator.org and www.guidestar.org.

If you have family-favorite alternative gift-giving ideas, or have tried some of the above and want to give feedback, please send them to outreach@princetonumc.org. We can post them on this blog and add them to the list for 2014.

Have a joyous Christmas celebration with the emphasis on Christ’s coming to be among us.

Alternative Gifts: Part 2

Karen Z oberea mugsffers ideas on alternative gifts, a follow-up to Alternative Gifts Part I:

I began using alternative shopping ideas years ago after reading a mid 80s book by Jo Robinson & Jean C. Staeheli called Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season. 

Koinonia  Christian based, sells pecans in many forms, cakes, etc. 

Christian Appalachian Home sells greens and wreaths and other crafts. I have ordered their wreaths for our church doors for years; it gives employment to people there. 

Misericordia cards, amaryllis kits, coffee bakery. Catholic organization supports people with learning disabilities. 

Crossnore (crossnoreweavers.org: crossnoreschool.org) Weaving, other gifts. In the heart of Blue Ridge. It’s a DAR supported school built in 5 rural type areas for kids whose families are in trouble. 

Hindman Stettlement  Baskets, etc. This part of Kentucky is really poor. DAR supported, the Settlement school mission is to provide educational and service opportunities for people of the mountains while keeping them mindful of their heritage. Hindman Settlement School is focusing on dyslexic kids for a large area. 

National Wildlife Federation  supports conservation and protection for wildlife. They have three children’s magazines. Ranger Rick is the most known. 

Berea College Crafts  Berea College does terrific crafts—broom, wood furniture, etc. Catalogue is 38 pages . Non profit educating the head, heart and hands. The mugs shown above cost $15 and were made by Berea students. The

Other ideas from Karen:

Think before you buy from a book Simplify Your Christmas by Elaine St. James:

Do I need it? How much will I use it? How long will it last? Will it end up in a landfill? Are the resources that went into it renewable or non-renewable? What is the worst that will happen if I don’t buy it now?

Buy American by supporting home town folks: buy gift certificates from locally owned businesses, like hair salon, barber, restaurant, mechanic, cleaning service, hometown theater, local craft people, lawn service, local golf course, etc.

Some tips for a simpler, more meaningful Christmas: Give alternative gifts. Give 25% of what you spent last year to the truly needy—individuals or groups locally, nationally or internationally. Buy crafts and clothing from developing countries at alternative gift markets, not from commercial importers, so that the artisans receive a fair price for their work.

Give of yourself, not just “stuff”—a, coupon book for future services such as baby sitting for an “enchanted evening” or something baked.

Draw names rather than everyone giving something to everyone else. Set a ceiling for each person.

Take turns opening gifts, not all at once, so each gift can be appreciated and each giver thanked.

Celebrate Advent for four weeks before Christmas.

Whose birthday is it anyway? 

Here is a link to Part 3

Scott Langdon’s One-Man Show: A Christmas Carol

carol podiumScott Langdon presents his one-man show of Dickens’ A Christmas Carol at the Media Theater just outside of Philadelphia, now through December 22. He shared a similar program with our church five years ago — now it has sets and lights and all the trimmings!scottlangdon

It will be a blessing to see, and the town of Media makes a delightful visit. Call 610-891-0100 for shows on Saturdays at 11 or Sundays at 7. For a preview video, click here.

Meanwhile, you can also hear Scott teach “Speaking Christian” at PUMC, every Sunday at 9:30 in Room 205 in the Heart of Faith class.

Alternative Gifts: part one

feba displayChristmas is a wonderful time of the year for Christians around the world; a time when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. But it can also bring stress, distractions and a blow to our finances, especially when it comes to giving gifts. Why not try a few of the alternative gift-giving ideas and spread some good cheer along with Christian values all at the same time.

These ideas come from Pat O., a member of the outreach committee.

Trying to explain to a young child that you just gave the money you would have spent on their gift to a worthy cause, can be a hard sell. We use the following organizations which send a token gift to give to the child. Older children appreciate them too.

World Wildlife Federation (www.wwf.org) Adopt an animal on the endangered species list. You will get a plush animal and adoption papers.

National Wildlife Federation (www.nwf.org) Adopt an animal program at the national level. Other gift ideas available.

Heifer International (www.heifer.org) Choose a meaningful gift to help families around the world receive training and animal gifts that help them become self-reliant. Heifer does sell stuffed animals, but hard to find on their website. May have to buy matching animal elsewhere. Our children’s Sunday School offer goes to Heifer.

Other ideas for young and old:

Ten Thousand Villages sells fair trade handmade goods from around the world. Princeton Shopping Center.

UNICEF (www.unicef.org) catalog of gifts, cards.

Church World Service (cwsglobal.org) Donations in honor of recipients for School Kits, Baby Care Kits, literacy classes, animals, wells, and much more. Cards can be printed out to give to the person.

Womanspace (www.womanspace.org) See “December Holiday Wish List” 2012 on website.

United Front Against Riverblindness (www.riverblindness.org) UFAR helps eliminate riverblindness in the Democratic Republic of Congo. For $250 you can adopt a village of 500 people for a year. Will Receive a certificate with a village name (immediately) and a set of photos of the village chief (at a later time.) Gifts of any amount are gratefully accepted. Contact person: Susan Lidstone (coverrock@aol.com)

Woman, Cradle of Abundance (www.womancredleofabundance.org) Purchase items made by Women in the Democratic Republic (displayed in the photo above) of the Congo like clothing, table cloths and napkins, purses, jewelry. Donations also accepted for building a new facility to grow their business.

crane earringsInternational Crane Foundation (www.savingcranes.org) has various crane-themed gifts, like the $25 earrings at left.

IOU’s Give a Christmas coupon book that can be redeemed for breakfast in bed, or a backrub, or a trip to the park, etc. Be creative. You can find coupon books to print out online

This is part 1 of three posts distributed by the Outreach Committee. Here is a link to part 2, and you can pick up the complete sheet in the Sanford Davis Room!