Doing Good For Others
On Laity Sunday, George Fox describes in his testimony about doing good for others, how we are called to serve one another and walk humbly with God.
His words came out strong and urgent as he spoke about the work our Stephen Ministers do at PUMC. About 5 years ago, PUMC, under Jana’s leadership, began the process of qualifying a Stephen Ministry at our church to work as an extension of our church’s Pastoral Care.
The Stephen Ministers, who we refer to as Caregivers, in our congregation have undergone a formal Selection Process (first step is that they must volunteer) and 50 hours of training. The role of our Stephen Minister Caregivers is to provide a Christian Care Giving presence and to let God provide the cure.
Who have we helped?
- People who are lonely
- People who are unhappy
- People who are grieving
- People who have lost a dear family member to death
- People with a debilitating disease
- People with financial challenges
- People who are facing major life changes and are concerned about the options they see
- Other Stephen Ministers who are either looking for a vibrant Stephen Ministry or who are looking for care.
- We Stephen Ministers pray daily for our Care Receivers and remember above all that:
WE PROVIDE THE PRESENCE AND GOD PROVIDES THE CURE.
Written by Isabella Dougan